South Bay Families Connected is a not-for-profit whose mission it is to improve the social and emotional wellness of our area youth by supporting parents in their efforts to help their kids reach their full potential and live healthy, fulfilled lives. With this shared community goal in mind, SBFC offers parents the following free resources, education, and opportunities to connect around the issues and challenges we face, from helping our kids navigate the new social media landscape, to reducing the likelihood that they will use drugs and alcohol:
- A centralized online gallery of national and local parenting resources, including mindful parenting approaches and age-appropriate alcohol and drug prevention communication tools and information
- An up-to-date community calendar which offers parents a one-stop-shop for free parent education events occurring throughout our community.
- Parent education provided by local and national experts is available through our monthly Teen Wellness Speaker Series (co-sponsored by Beach Cities Health District) and Partner School Education events.
- A means to connect with other parents and share their parenting challenges in a supportive, non-judgmental environment. Opportunities to stay connected include the education events noted above, as well as small group discussion and a parent blog.
- Ongoing communication about the latest teen wellness articles and resources via a monthly e-newsletter and social media.
- A way to share their concerns and shape the South Bay Families Connected project through participating in our parent survey, parent and teen focus groups, and Families Connected task force meetings.
About South Bay Families Connected
SBFC was created in response to the high level of community concern regarding social emotional wellness of our area youth, as well as teen alcohol and drug use in the beach cities A teen wellness community task force meeting held on February 2, 2015 helped define the problem and provide the spark for the Families Connected project. The SBFC concept and website were created and funded by LSM Communications, LLC, with ongoing collaborative input from numerous community leaders, partner school administrators, business owners, and parents throughout the South Bay.
SBFC first launched in August, 2015 and is available, free of charge, to all South Bay parents, schools and organizations caring for, or serving youth. It’s as easy and cost-free as sharing a link to the SBFC website.
We also have a Partner School option. Our Partner Schools each have their own unique website that connects their parent community to the resources available on the larger SBFC website. Please click on the adjacent image for a visual depiction of the SBFC project concept, features, reach, and impact as of June, 2017.
Click on the link below to hear from SBFC Partner School administrators, South Bay parents, and SBFC advisors about the need for, and the impact of the SBFC project.
SBFC Partner Districts and Schools
We are honored to work together in partnership with our SBFC Partner Schools to help improve the social emotional wellness of our community youth.
Our community commitment and process
SBFC will continue to use a collaborative approach as it expands both its parent education events and the communication material it produces. Input from parents and our South Bay prevention community have been an invaluable part of our process, allowing us to create a wellness and prevention program that is organic to our beach cities culture.
We will continue to conduct ongoing resource research and will update the website content and share new information via social media and our monthly e-newsletter. At the bottom of each resource page, we provide a response form which anyone can use to report issues with links, recommend additional resources, or share with us their thoughts on why a resource might not be appropriate. Please note that resources selected for inclusion must meet the following criteria:
- They are accessible by all, free of charge
- Are prevention not treatment based
- Provide clear and helpful information from a reputable source, with minimal online advertising
- Do not have a direct political agenda
SBFC Founder, Co-Founders, Partners and Advisors
Our co-founders, partners and advisors have helped to shape the creation of this project immeasurably, as well as expand its reach within our community. They include numerous community leaders, educators, business owners, and residents who have sharing this resource with our South Bay Community either by word of mouth, e-communication, social media, or at community meetings and presentations. As a grassroots effort, this project can only reach its audience through these efforts, as well as those of our SBFC Partner Schools. We are so grateful for their support.
Want to display the SBFC poster in your home or business? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org!