What is mindful parenting? To us it means embracing current evidence-based practices related to the importance of helping youth find their authentic path and purpose, achieve balance in their lives (with a heavy emphasis on downtime, playtime, and family time), and develop character qualities that will help them thrive during the teen years and beyond. The resources on this page aim to help us as parents achieve our own balance and take steps toward leaving the old-school helicopter parenting strategies behind. Just breathe.....
Featured SBFC Blogs
Confessions of a Reformed Helicopter Mom, by a M.B. Mom
Helping Youth Find Balance
The Well Balanced Student - Challenge Success Resources
In our April 2018 Families Connected Speaker Series event, provided in partnership with Beach Cities Health District, Dr. Denise Pope, Founder of Challenge Success, presented "Helping Students Find Balance in the South Bay Pressure Cooker". Though we can not make that presentation available on video, the presentation can be viewed on the Challenge Success website for a fee. We highly recommend it. (Note: due to popular demand, we are sharing this video selection despite the fact that there is a fee. Know that all other videos and resources on our website are free.)
CLICK HERE to preview Denise Popes full video: The Well-Balanced Student
Below you will find recommended Challenge Success videos, resources, and blogs available at no charge.
Related Content on SBFC: Teens, Technology, and Stress
- Overloaded and Underprepared, by Dr. Denise Pope
- Not Every Child is an A Grade Student (Blog from Alice Wilde)
- 31 Thinks Your Kids Should Be Doing Instead of Homework (Motherwell)
- Why Are More American Teenagers Than Ever Suffering From Severe Anxiety (NT Times)
- The Importance of Sleep for Teenagers (Mind Matters)
Helping Youth Connect with Purpose
Families Connected Video and Tip Sheet
In our Families Connected Speaker Series event entitled Purpose vs. Performance, co-sponsored by Beach Cities Health District, former Dodger Eric Karros and his daughter Mikah-Maly Karros share their story about the important role parents play in helping youth find their authentic purpose and passion. Mikah shares personal reflections about how the pressures on her to perform on the basketball court disconnected her from her true passions and drove a period of substance abuse during high school and college.
Related Content on SBFC: Staving off Drugs and Alcohol During the Teen Years
In our Families Connected Speaker Series event, in partnership with Beach Cities Health District, Dr. Michele Borba, author of Unselfie, presented Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All About Me World. Whether you attended the event or not, we recommend Dr. Borba's discussion guide for parents, and a discussion guide for educators, both are available as free downloadable PDFs.
Related Content on SBFC: Empathy and Compassion
- Unselfie, by Dr. Michele Borba
Recommended Articles :
- Fostering Empathy in our Youth (Greater Good Science Center))
Fostering Resilience and Gratitude
- How to Raise an Adult, by Julie Lythcott Haimes
- Grit, by Angela Duckworth
- The Blessing of a Skinned Knee, by Wendy Mogul
- Resilience Guide at Every Age (American Psychological Association)
- Former Stanford dean explains why helicopter parenting is ruining a generation of children (Washington Post)
- How Schools Are Handling an 'Overparenting' Crisis (NPR)
- Three Reasons to Raise Grateful Kids (Greater Good Science Center)