SBFC's recommended article of the month:
Please click on the photo or link above to access this article. Though an older one (published in 2013) it really holds up and provides some great advice for parents.
- Former Stanford dean explains why helicopter parenting is ruining a generation of children (Washington Post)
- Not Every Child is an A Grade Student (Blog from Alice Wilde)
- The Secret to Raising a Happy, Confident Girl (Parents.com)
- Three Reasons to Raise Grateful Kids (Greater Good - UC Berkeley)
- How Schools Are Handling an 'Overparenting' Crisis (NPR)
- Brief Summary of Mindfulness Research (UCLA)
- How to Raise a Creative Child. Step One: Back Off (NY Times)
- Growth Mindset, Clearing Up Some Common Confusion (KQED - MindShift)
- Keep Calm and Parent On (PaloAltoOnline.com)
- Fostering Empathy in our Youth (Greater Good - UC Berkeley)
- Our current featured book is How to Raise an Adult and Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success, by Julie Lythcott-Halms. Please see our Video page for her outstanding TED talk.
Visit our SBFC and BCHD Parent Resource Center at Pages, A Bookstore, Manhattan Beach, for a great selection of recommended parenting books!
Resources for Social Emotional Wellness
- A Parent's Resource Guide to Social Emotional Learning (Edutopia, by the George Lucas Education Foundation)
- Tips and Guides for Social Emotional Wellness at All Stages (NBC News, Educaiton Nation)
- A Comprehensive List of Resources for Teaching Growth Mindset (Edutopia, by the George Lucas Education Foundation)
- Resilience Guide at Every Age (American Psychological Association)
- A science-based resource for helping parents and educators foster gratitude, altruism, compassion, empathy, forgiveness, happiness and mindfulness.(Greater Good, Berkeley)