Teen Substance Use-Related Featured articles:
Click on the images (either text or photos) below to access articles
Iceland Knows How to Stop Substance Abuse, and the Rest of the World Isn't Listening (Mosaic Science)
How to Help Our Pressured Kids (Challenge Success)
The Four Traits That Put Kids at Risk for Addiction (NY Times)
"Drug education is the only part of the middle school curriculum I remember — perhaps because it backfired so spectacularly. Before reaching today’s legal drinking age, I was shooting cocaine and heroin.."
The Misguided Desire of Wanting Our Kids to Be Happy (Goop.com)
"We’ve become a generation of Mr. Salts—placaters and pacifiers, parents who unintentionally become their child’s first co-dependent relationship."
How Helicopter Parenting Can Cause Binge Drinking (The Atlantic)
"The way some white professionals raise their children is exacerbating an alcohol problem on U.S. college campuses."
Manhattan Beach Parents, You Play a Big Role in Your College Kids' Drinking, Study Finds (MB Patch)
"Parents, overestimating how "chill" other parents are about alcohol, fall prey to peer pressure, affecting how much their own kids drink." Patch.com
These articles have been recommended by Families Connected Parents:
- The Conversation You Must Have With Your Sons (Huffington Post)
- 50 Common Mistakes That Parents Make When They Discover Their Kids Are Using Drugs (Cathy Taughinbaugh)
- Youthful binge drinking changes the brain - for the worse - into adulthood (LA Times)
- A River of Booze: Inside One College Town's Uneasy Embrace of Drinking (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Rash of hospitalizations in New York state linked to synthetic marijuana (CNN)
- Cool at 13, Adrift at 23 (New York Times)
- Alcohol: The Most Popular Choice (Healthy Children)
- More Help for College Men With Depression and Anxiety (Wall Street Journal)