Growing up can be stressful and almost all children experience stress at some point in their lives. In today's fast-paced, social media-driven, high-pressured culture, teens are reporting higher levels of stress and anxiety than ever before. The videos and articles below are provided in order to help parents understand what is trending nationally and in the South Bay, and how we can help your kids understand and manage their levels of stress and anxiety.
Voices of South Bay Youth, Parents, and Experts
Mira Costa High School and Redondo Union High School teens share what stresses them out, how they cope, and how parents can help.
Watch the Families Connected Speaker Series event, "Recognizing and Responding to Teen Stressors and Pressures," a panel discussion.
Tips and tools from Anna Pirkl, M.A., MFT., on ways to help our kids reduce their levels of stress and anxiety
- Glimplse, by Leah Niehaus, LCSW
- Things I wish I knew: Helping Your Highly Sensitive Teen, by a M.B, Mom
- Embrace the Pause: How we Parents Can Reduce Stress in Our Students' Lives, by Dr. Nicole Wesley
- Let's Stop the College (March) Madness, by Helen Codron, M.Ed.
Statistics in the Beach Cities
Click on either image to enlarge.
Understanding Stress and Anxiety in Teens
Trending National Articles
Why Are More American Teens Suffering From Severe Anxiety? (Photo at left and article in the New York Times)
American Teens Are Even More Stressed Than Adults (Huffington Post)
All Stress Is Not Distress (Challenge Success)
6 Reasons Your Teen's Life is More Stressful Than Your Own (The Washington Post)
Ways to Help Your Kids Manage Stress and Anxiety
Click on the button below to access the SBFC Mindful Parenting Page where you will find articles, videos and resources to help parents reduce the stress within their homes and guide their children in mindfulness practices.
Angst is a 56-minute film and virtual reality experience that explores anxiety, its causes, effects and what we can do about it. SBFC is currently making plans to bring the film to the South Bay for a screening to share with parents and youth at all of our SBFC Partner Schools and Districts. The Angst website is also an outstanding source of information. Click on the links below to visit the following pages:
Recommended Videos Featuring Denise Pope of Challenge Success
- Helping kids cope with stress (Kids Health from Nemours)
- Teens Talk About stress (Teen Health from Nemours)
- How to Handle Anxiety Fueled Refusals to Go to School (KQED)
Audio Resources for Stress Relief
Please keep in mind that mindfulness techniques are meant to be used in conjunction with, not as a substitution for, services offered by trained health professionals.
Apps and Videos to Share with Your Kids
- Calm: Need a little more calm in your life? Now available for iPhone or on calm.com, Calm can help you meditate, sleep, relax, focus and much more.
- Mental Workout®: Freedom from Stress and Mindfulness Meditation are just two of the great free lite programs in this app.
- Smiling Mind: Smiling Mind is meditation made easy. A simple tool that helps put a smile on your mind anytime, anywhere and everyday.
- Stop, Breathe, Think: Get meditating in 5 minutes. Easy. With this app, you can develop and apply kindness and compassion in your daily life through a process called STOP, BREATHE & THINK.